July has been rushing by and we’ve hardly had a chance to catch up. But here is what’s new…
In the one step forward two steps back department our skookum new fridge is on the fritz. But in the serendipity department, it looks like we may be able to use a neighbours propane fridge for the summer. Serendipidty also got us a great new toolshed for use closer to the actual construction site. Thanks to our neighbours Andrew & Yaz and Nick and Janet for giving us a chance to give these items a new life with the L cabin.
Big thanks go out to Drew who helped out in June with the decking on the power tower, Maddy who brought energy and organic food in June and her friend Jordana in July. Their pickaxing and shovelling ‘made level what was not’ as Kevin put it, and made the new toolshed possible, and their patience in assembling it was commendable. ‘Chip’ aka Kevin N came back from his journeys away and wielded a chainsaw as well as helping build our first scaffolding. Pat brought real crab sushi (from fresh caught crab!) and blueberry scones, and if that wasn’t enough, taught us how to make shakes and split rail fences.
Milestones and highlights:
- discovering we have a) enough posts and beams for the bottom floor and b) only nine left until we are done
- Split rail fence 101 – very fun
- Shakes 101 – hmm… maybe we don’t want to use shakes too much on the house….
- new tool shed – so handy, so organized!
- first scaffolding for construction
- beginning of covering power tower teck
- log pile continues to grow