Labour Day weekend 2013

What an amazing weekend it was! The very last of the scaffolding was taken down. Can we get a woo-hoo?  And almost as quickly as it was taken down it’s being transformed into new decking for the ‘grotto’ the rather large and airy space underneath our cabin.
When the crew wasn’t building there was some good eating happening with my second and most successful attempt at pork ribs in a homemade molasses BBQ sauce and some very delightful chocolate chip cookies provided by Mike. Nigella if you are reading this, I can tell you that Mike can follow a recipe like a hot damn and is pretty handy with power tools too. He is also a skilled crib player as his 4-0 victory over Kevin will attest. Just something to think about now that you are single….
The tray I made from leftover cedar battens and siding was quickly put to use for coffee and crib. 
Other highlights included swimming, mancala playing (Kevin got his revenge here) spotting of seals and a small weaselish creature by the dock and a lot of general basking in end of summer.

 

July flies by

July has gone by so fast! We got the initial inspections done, found a set of stairs floating in Howe Sound, built decks, grew tomatoes, ate great food, rescued Ralphie when he fell off the dock, trampolined up a storm and enjoyed every minute of the amazing weather.
Just to summarize where we are:
  • the initial inspections by the engineer and the permits people have been done which means we can now begin the wiring, plumbing etc.
  • the exterior is completed except the gutters and interior of the breezeway
  • the decking (except the interior of the breezeway) are completed
  • the tomatoes we are growing are delicious!
  • Fresh grown mint and bourbon go very nicely together
Big thanks to Maddy, Kristen, Brad, Sean, Nessa and Matt

 

 

Green roof part 2 and lots more visible signs of progress

What a VSOP (visible sings of progress) weekend it turned out to be.

We finished the breezeway roof and planted our first plants. 
We made and planted several self-watering planters
We fixed the broken seats on the boat
We ate great food
We took down the scaffolding off the south wall

We finished the breezeway roof and planted our first plants. 

Maddy and Kevin working on the decking for the roof.
The decking is made in two parts so the underside can be accessed if needed.

We made and planted several self-watering planters

We fixed the broken seats on the boat

We ate great food

We took down the scaffolding off the south wall

Self watering planters from old totes

 

We got these totes for free from a local organic produce delivery service. Some had broken sides and a few had broken bottoms, so between the two it worked out nicely. These are an earth box/sub irrigated planter design. The bottom tote holds water, and the top tote has a well cut into it. I used a plastic yogurt container and plastic flower pots to create the inserts. This dips down into the water in the first bucket, with the moisture being sucked up as needed. In theory it should water the whole planter. The pipe on the side is to fill the water reservoir.
Landscape fabric keeps dirt from clogging the holes in the well bottoms. These are the half-height bins so even with dirt in them they were manageable to move.
We had the plastic tubing on hand but if I’d had to buy something for this I would have tried bamboo. I think a nice thick stalk would look beautiful!

I’ve been saving up bits of rope in anticipation of some craft project. I like that it’s all different but all yellow.


 I did buy the coffee bags for $1.50 each and the plants which were about $3 each. I planted mint, basil, oregano, thyme and chives. I have a few more totes so I think I will try some greens too. 

Weekend report and the log crib aka firewood rack

This weekend Kevin made us a log holder out of the stockpile of bolts he got off Craigslist. The bolts are perfect because they are the exact length that the log needs to be to fit in the stove. If this system works we might build it in when we put in the drywall.
We also cleared out some of the leftover construction wood around the site so spring can work its magic and green the place up. The sun came out to join us as we hauled wood and built a bonfire pile for next weekend.